If your knee is hurt during some injury or you have arthritis in your knees, it could be in severe pain. If this pain doesn’t go away with medications or other treatments, surgery could be an option for you.
In this article, Dr. Dilip Mehta, one of the best orthopedic surgeons in Jaipur, discusses knee replacement surgery.
What is Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement surgery removes diseased or damaged parts of the knee joint and replaces them with plastic or metal parts.
If your knee is not improving after using medications and other treatments, knee replacement surgery is the option. It is an effective and safe procedure that can make you feel and move better.
Dr. Dilip Mehta is one of the best orthopedic surgeons in Jaipur. He has over 15 years of experience as an orthopedic surgeon and has treated hundreds of patients successfully.
Why is it done?
According to Dr. Mehta, you can consider getting knee replacement surgery under the following conditions:
- If you have arthritis in your knee or a knee injury that severely damaged the meeting point of your knee joint.
- Stiffness and pain giving you trouble doing daily activities like walking up or down the stairs
- If inflammation and swelling don’t go away with getting rest and medications
- If your knee is deformed, like if it is swollen or is shaped abnormally.
- If you have a defect in your knee since birth
Types of Knee Replacement Surgeries
According to Dr. Mehta, one of the best orthopedic surgeons in Jaipur, there are 3 main types of knee replacement surgeries:
1. Total Knee Replacement Surgery
Total knee replacement is one of the most common types of knee replacement surgery. During this process, your surgeon will remove the surface of your knee bones that have been damaged and replace your knee with an artificial implant. This implant is made to fit your anatomy.
Your surgeon will use surgical instruments to cut the artificial bone to fit accurately, then shape your healthy bone underneath. It is done so that the bone beneath will fit perfectly into the components of the implant.
2. Partial Knee Replacement Surgery
A partial Knee Replacement Surgery is done when only one part of your knee is damaged.
Your surgeon will perform this procedure to replace the inside part, outside part, or kneecap.
If arthritis has affected only one part of your knee, partial Knee Replacement Surgery could be the best choice for you.
However, it is applicable only if your knee ligaments are strong and the remaining knee cartilage is normal.
3. Bilateral Knee Replacement
In this procedure, your surgeon will replace both your knees at the same time. This could be convenient because you will have to go through the treatment just once. This could be a great option if both your knees are damaged by arthritis.
Dr. Dilip Mehta is one of the best orthopedic surgeons in Jaipur and provides excellent treatment for knee replacement surgery. Following are the steps involved in a knee replacement surgery according to him:
- You will be given general anesthesia, spinal anesthesia, and peripheral nerve blocks in the first step.
- The surgeon will remove the damaged bone and cartilage from where the thigh and shin bone connect at the knee joint during the treatment.
- Your surgeon may then replace these surfaces with a metal or plastic implant. In most cases, the surgeon replaces the backside of your kneecap with a specific plastic, which is then sandwiched between the two metal components.
- The operation will smooth up the surfaces of both bones in your knee joint. This enables these bones to bend and flex more easily and without discomfort.
- It will take around two hours to complete the surgery.
As with any surgical procedure, knee replacement surgery involves a few complications. Some of them are:
- Blood clots
- Loosening out of the prosthesis
- Continuous stiffness or pain
- The knee joint that was replaced may get loose, dislodged, or may not work the way it is intended to. In such cases, the joint may have to be replaced again in the future.
- The blood vessels or nerves in the treatment area might get injured, resulting in numbness or weakness.
- The joint pain may not be relieved by the surgery.
- You must spend 2 to 3 days in the hospital after the surgery.
- Your doctor may prescribe pain killers to you and will monitor you for complications.
- After coming home, you must keep the surgical area dry and clean. You will get bathing instructions from your doctor.
- The stitches will be removed in the next follow-up visit to your doctor. You can use ice to reduce the swelling.
According to Dr. Mehta, one of the best orthopedic surgeons in Jaipur, you should notify your doctor if you see the following:
- Swelling, redness, bleeding
- Pain around the surgical area
If your knee is not responding to treatments like mediations and getting rest, your doctor may advise you to get knee replacement surgery. It is a safe and effective procedure that can help you relieve your pain and help you get back to your everyday life.
You can visit Dr Dilip Mehta, one of the best orthopaedic surgeons in Jaipur, for further queries and treatment.